Potted – in your container gardens that is!
Last Minute Ideas for your pots
Plant annuals under or around your potted permanent plants.
- Go to the nursery and choose flowers that go with your holiday color scheme.
- Choose from the list below or get help from your local nursery staff
- Plant these plants right into the soil, adding a little time release fertilizer (scant handful)
- Water in after planting.
For your Sun Plantings, add Red and White Annuals such as:
- Million Bells
- Dianthus – try the newer variety of Amazon or other super tall Dianthus
- Geraniums (part shade too)
- Snapdragons (Whites and Burgundy – no red)
- Pansies and Viola (Whites and Burgundy – no red)
Shade Plantings – Red and White Annuals:
- Primrose and Cyclamen are your best bets in full shade.
- Geraniums best in morning or filtered sun
- Poinsettias are of course wonderful and with all the new varieties, you have more choices than only red.
- Paper Whites, and Amaryllis are great nursery plants that you can use in pots during the holidays.
- If there is a dip in temperatures to 40° or below, you will want to bring tender tropical plants inside.
If you only have a little time
Simply place a potted plant (or several) on top of the soil of the larger plant and dress it with potted ivy, garland, pine boughs, lights and anything else you have on hand to finish it off. This is a great way to use those tender nursery plants that you might have to bring inside.
Pots on your patio or near your front door are a great place to add candles (maybe the flameless variety) inside chimneys among the plantings. This would be a great addition when you are expecting guests.
No matter how much or how little you do, allow your child’s eye the freedom to create the look you want for the holidays. I know I have kept within the traditional red and white color spectrum but if you want to work with blues, all whites, gold’s or silver’s – look to those colors when you visit the nursery. I know you will find something that just tickles you.
A Great Gift Idea!
Pick up a copy of Getting Potted in the Desert for yourself or a friend for a holiday gift.
Shop locally in Tucson at Tucson Botanical Gardens or Antigone Books on 4th Avenue.
A tip on your book shopping. The books in Tucson are spiral bound. And, Antigone Books will ship your copy.
For the desktop or mobile shopper, go to Amazon
and get your print or ebook copy in time for the holidays AND planning your winter desert potted garden.