Flower beds are great for all planting seasons no matter where you live.
But here in the desert, we can enjoy beautiful beds 365 days a year!
In my practice, beds fall under contained gardens. They can be a planting in the ground , a raised bed or a jumbo planter. If it’s in a bounded area, it’s a container and we can practice the same principles I use for any of my designs.
Fast Tips for a Flower Bed
- Choose an area that gets the amount of sun that matches the types of flowers you prefer.
- Remember the sun shifts through the year – Pay Attention!
- Use quality soil that your local garden store recommends. If it is a small bed, use potting soil. If your bed is large, it will be costly to use potting soil. You can use garden soil for the base and add 4-6 inches of potting soil on top.
- Follow the same planting techniques I recommend for your pots.
- Plan how you will water your bed. If using drip irrigation, a landscape line will not provide the correct amount of water. You might be able to cheat off a grass line or put in a dedicated line for the bed. We have worked with the schedule of a pot line.
- Plan for critters! If you know they exist in your neighborhood, practice one (or all!) of these techniques:
- Fence in the garden
- Use critter resistant plants
- Get a dog